Sunday, March 1, 2009

Klunk on the dunk

Yesterday I went where all Norwegian citizens go when they want to buy their wine, liquor, or strong beer. The “winemonopoly” (which sounds a bit like a family board game) was established here in Norway in 1922, since the citizens were drinking too much and too strong. There was little wine, more spirits, and about 1830-1840 the average adult was pouring down 13 liters or 3.4 gallons of pure alcohol every year. The Winemonoploy now hold the exclusive right to retail wine, spirits and strong beer in Norway.

Buying your wine here takes a little bit of planning. The Winemonopoly closes earlier than other shops, it closes at 4 or 6 on Saturdays, and it’s closed on Sundays.

The age limit for buying wine and beer with less than 22% alcohol is 18 years of age. For the stronger stuff you need to be at least 20 years.

I am now getting to the core of this presentation. Yesterday, when I was buying my wine the lady in the cashier asked me for ID! Really! This year I will be celebrating my 30th birthday, and the nice lady wanted to know if I had turned 18 yet. A little flattered and overwhelmed I handed her my ID, she looked at it and handed it back to me saying “thank you!”. I replied “No, thank YOU!”. There was a little giggling in the line behind me.

Later on I was contemplating what had happened and why the nice lady suspected that I was under the age of 18. Do I really look that young?? Was it my sloppy clothes? Did I behave like a teenager? What?

I think I found the answer. I bought a carton of Gato Negro. I made a decision while looking at two different types of wine. I thought “why spend 400 kroners when I can spend only 300?” No offence to the brewers of Gato Negro, it’s a nice wine that works with almost anything. The nice cashier probably made the conclusion “Okay, here we have someone who buyes large quantities of cheep brewery, she must be underage!”

(The phrase “Klunk on the dunk” means when your wine carton is almost empty, but you assume you’ll be able to squeeze another two glasses out of it. “Klunk” is the sound of wine being poured into a glass. “Dunk” is carton. “Å klunke på dunken”; To split the leftovers on your wine carton with a friend. Large quantitiesare not important in this context.)

No comments:

Post a Comment